Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Red Velvet Trifle



Okay, so I know it's been a LONG time since my last post. BUT I promise this one is a good one!!!
I took this dessert to the Elementary School for their Christmas teacher lunch. I got a lot of requests for the recipe, so I just decided to post it here. I hope everyone likes it Let me know what you think. :)

Red Velvet Trifle

Cake:
2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Pour batter into large cake pan (I used a 12x18 Wilton pan). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Then remove cake from pan and cut into cubes, whatever size you want them to be - I cut them into approx 1"x1" cubes.


Icing:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup melted marshmallows
1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar

Directions
Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add marshmallows and sugar and blend.







To assemble trifle, layer about 1/3 of the cake cubes into a trifle dish, then spread about 1/3 of the icing onto the cake cubes. Continue to layer, ending with the icing on top. Sprinkle the top of the trifle with chopped pecans (optional).

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful!!! I've done this before with a red velvet pound cake that stuck to the pan. It wasn't what I planned but turned out quite pretty and of course yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete