Monday, July 5, 2010

Sweet Blueberry Cornbread

I love cornbread and I love blueberries, so when I found this on the Paula Deen website I had to make it. Of course, I tweaked it a little bit to make it healthier.

We ate it for breakfast drizzled with a little honey. The kids really liked it. I loved the texture and I was surprized at how well blueberries and cornmeal complimented each other.

Daphne has this on her blog, too. She used blue cornmeal instead of yellow. I will definately be trying that next time. :)


Sweet Blueberry Cornbread
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)

2/3 cup sugar ( I used helf sugar, half Splenda)

1/2 cup cornmeal

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups milk

2 large eggs, lightly beaten (I used Egg Beaters)

1/3 cup canola oil

4 tablespoons butter, melted

1 cup fresh or fresh frozen blueberries


Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8” square baking pan (I used a 9x13 pan) with non stick baking spray and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, oil and butter. Add to flour mixture to wet mixture and stir just until blended. Gently fold in blueberries.
Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Serve warm with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment